[Web4lib] Various site issues

Amy Ostrom amostrom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:59:06 EDT 2006

Dear Web4Libbers:

We are in a massive website redesign process, and our first site is about to
go into a soft launch.  We outsourced for the images and graphic layout, and
our team has been building the code and content for the site to mirror the
design we were given.  We are attempting 508 compliance with as much
accessibility and standards built in, so it is completely CSS driven layouts
and styles.

I am hoping some generous souls would be willing to look at some of the on
going problems we are having and tell us what we can do to make everything
happy. :-)  We are very open to any suggestions keeping in mind this was the
design we were given and it is a work in progress.  Thank you so much in
advance!!

Website:  http://www.jocohistory.net

Known problems:
  *extra code is necessary to keep navigation and content sitting side by
side in gecko and Microsoft browsers
  *links in <ul> horizontal (list-style: none) for global navigation stay
vertical in Mac IE (oddly we still get a lot of Mac IE hits)
  *printing in IE does not place the URL after the hyperlink like happy
Firefox does
  *widescreens seem to throw off a lot of the elements (do not have
widescreens to test this)
  *front page content needs to create less whitespace between navigation and
self (gets unruly on large monitors)
  *(CONTENTdm is not fully CSS - has any done this, especially the advanced
search? Is it possible and if so, anyone willing to share technique?)

Sadly we do not have a working search yet, and we are still putting in
content (we have filler pages in some places), so please do not take offense
to our sometimes blank, etc pages.  They will be done *crosses fingers*, and
the "under construction" image removed by launch.  Thank you so much in
advance for any advice or suggestions!

--

In peace,

Amy M Ostrom