[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:51:08 EDT 2006

McHale, Nina wrote:
> At Computers in Libraries this past March, there was a session about how to communicate with IT folks. There were a few minutes left after the presenter finished, so he asked the audience to share their experiences on the topic.  One guy raised his hand, and said, "Get IT people to come to your conferences! I'm not a librarian; I'm IT support, and I've learned so much about the way you all think!" The room broke out into applause.

I've been following this thread with interest as I also work in IT.  In
my case, however my unit library (1 of 20 on campus) has a fully staffed
IT department consisting for 5 full time programmer/analyst, a unix
system administrator, a public access computing support person, a staff
computer support person, and an operations manager.  In addition to my
programming/systems analysts responsibilities I am also the technology
strategist and a system architect in the group.

About five years ago I attended a LITA conference.  I attended sessions
for two full days and in almost every one of the them there was a common
phrase used.  That was, "you don't have to be a programmer to do this"
or something along those lines.  After two day of hearing that I made
sure that I filled on my conference evaluation form where I mentioned
the oft-used phrase and the alienation I felt because I *was* a
programmer.  Looking over the attendance lists showed that I was one of
only a handful that, according to the provided job titles, was an IT
person.  In other words, if increased participation from IT people
(support and developers) is desired then a welcoming environment needs
to exist rather than a "we can do this without programmers" mentality.

To be fair, I attended a LITA conference a couple of years ago and there
seemed be a much higher representation of IT people and much better
communication.  In fact, I did a collaborative presentation with Eric
Morgan at that conference.