[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Jul 26 13:01:43 EDT 2006

> Just another reason for all of us to be advocates for our technology, as
> everyone else has noted!
>
> Nina

Being able to communicate well with IT folk (whether they are born of the
LibraryLand manor or not) is a real biggy. Communication in general is a
biggy.

A related story... I just had a small go-round with a vendor for a product
we use that had changed its access control for its product so we couldn't
just use passwords (which for seven team members was fine, thank you). I
completely understand their issues with access control, but it worked for
us. They kept asking for our main office IP address. Well, we HAVE no main
office... and I couldn't seem to get the vendor to understand that or to
bend its rules. But our CMS/hosting people (who understand our need for this
product) came up with a solution that produced an IP address that would work
for authentication, at least in theory, and the vendor was satisfied... and
issued passwords, just what we wanted in the first place. Much thanking all
around, of course.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com