[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

McHale, Nina nina.mchale at cudenver.edu
Wed Jul 26 12:24:44 EDT 2006

All,

Sometimes, even with decent IT support, there are misunderstandings that affect service to library staff simply because external IT folks don't know how libraries manage information differently than the rest of the institution. I've been at a new post for five months, and the most common complaint I've heard and decided to do something about was limited publishing access; there were only about 4 people who had publishing permissions, and upwards of 20 library staff who contribute and WANT to publish their own stuff. Our web pages are on a campus-managed server (which actually provides numerous benefits in our situation) and IT was reluctant to allow for looser permissions (a 002 umask), and I didn't understand why. I finally got to the bottom of it; they were worried about leaking patron information. They didn't realize that patron info is stored in-house on our III server, not floating around with the subject guides and other web pages!

Just another reason for all of us to be advocates for our technology, as everyone else has noted!

Nina

Nina McHale
Web Services Librarian
Auraria Library