FW: [Web4lib] 800x600 Browser Resolution

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mplib.org
Mon Jul 24 12:56:14 EDT 2006

Ideally, layout would work at most or any resolution. Try using the
catchphrase "liquid layout" with the designers, see if that rings any
bells for them.

Sometimes the deeper issue is that someone has specified that a set of
items "be visible as soon as you visit the site". If important info is
scrolling off the right-hand site at some resolutions, then eliminating
the right-hand scroll will mean that it scrolls off the bottom. It's
gotta go somewhere. And, the better you allow people to set their own
font size for accessibility, the more likely it is that larger font
sizes will lead to more vertical scrolling.

It's possible (I'm only speculating here) that the designers are trying
to fit everything into a visible area, so they're defining a specific
visible area to fit everything into.

It really comes down to managing expectations. Horizontal scrolling =
bad. Accessibility = good. Vertical scrolling, quit worrying so much
about it--it's liquid.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library