[Web4lib] white space in web pages

Nancy E. Sosna Bohm nancy at thesmudge.com
Mon Jul 24 12:52:02 EDT 2006

This post doesn't seem to have shown up during the technical difficulties on
the list last week.

Has it become an acceptable practice to ftp html docs in binary instead of
ASCII?

Several of us perform upkeep on our Library website, and we have different
ways of doing things, owing to different platforms, etc.

When html files have been uploaded in binary instead of ASCIII, end-of-line
and white space breaks are inserted into the code.
Sometimes it can even break a script.
In newer versions of ftp programs, it seems that the default is binary,
presumably because pictures will not be readable if uploaded in ASCII,
whereas binary rarely kills text.
My coworkers are set up to upload via DreamWeaver, which doesn't work from
my computer. Does DW upload only in binary?
It can be very cumbersome to deal with the code with big gaps in it. Only a
few lines can be seen at a time on a screen.

I'm set to digest for this list, so I will look for replies tonight.
Thank you,

Nancy E. Sosna
Associate Reference Librarian
Lake Forest College