[Web4lib] Streaming media

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Tue Jul 11 15:49:52 EDT 2006

Junior Tidal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone used flash based videos (FLV) to stream video content over
> the web? Our library is thinking of utilizing it, and I was just curious
> of other people's experiences with it.

Technically they don't stream unless you have a special streaming server
(using "Flash Communication Server software").  For many sites, what you
have instead is "progessive download".

That said, you see this kind of video all over the place nowadays --
everywhere from NYTimes.com to YouTube.com.  Where it's particularly
handy, assuming "progressive download", is in shorter pieces (<10min) or
where you can take advantage of Flash interactivity.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com