[Web4lib] Which Linux Distribution for a Library Web Server?

marc marc at indexdata.dk
Fri Jul 7 04:43:03 EDT 2006

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> At LibLime, we use Debian Sarge for most of our systems. Index Data
> maintains a debian apt source that has the latest versions of their
> apps (including the latest yaz which you'll need for ZOOM Perl). Also,
> the latest CPAN version of Net::Z3950::ZOOM has a bug in the Makefile.PL,
> if we bug Mike Taylor he might upload a fix ;-). In the meantime, just
> comment out the line:
>

> #   OPTIMIZE          => "-Wdeclaration-after-statement -g -O0"
>
> If you need more recent versions than supplied by the package
> maintainer you can always check out backports.org.
>
> Hope that helsp.
>
> Cheers,

If you need MySQL version 5 in addition, you either might want to

   run Debian Etch (and have frequent updates of the system, which is
   kind of irritating on production servers)

or

   run a blend of Debian Sarge and Etch, where you by apt-pinning
   essentially run a Sarge system, and allow mysql packages from Etch
   http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
   (which is a bit tricky to set up correctly)

or

   run plain Debian Sarge and use the unoffical, but very nice backport
   site
   http://www.backports.org/
   http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mysql-dfsg-5.0.html
   to get a mysql 5.0 installed from binaries, or to get
   ready-to-recompile sources fitting the Sarge distro.

   Definitely the easiest solution!

Please make sure to use the Sarge/Etch YAZ packages from our repository,
as the official ones are quite outdated!

Debian users can add the following two lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
and use Debians own package management tools, apt-get, aptitude, or dselect.
Replace sarge with etch if you are using these versions of Debian.

deb http://ftp.indexdata.dk/debian indexdata/sarge released
deb-src http://ftp.indexdata.dk/debian indexdata/sarge released

Notice that we are planning a re-organisation of this debian repository
to take place early in august 2006, after that time these lines will be
obsolete.

We will announce new instructions on our zebra and yaz maillists
http://lists.indexdata.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/zebralist

Cheers, Marc Cromme, Index Data

--

Marc Cromme, cand. polyt, Ph.D