[Web4lib] Testing Opera Mini Browser

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Jan 30 15:13:53 EST 2006

I have been testing the Opera MIni Browser by using the simulator
(http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/demo.dml) which, from
all indications, operates exactly as the browser would on my cell phone.
I double checked a couple of websites to verify that.  Information and
instructions on installing the Mini browser can be found at:
http://mini.opera.com.

Here is my analysis so far:

1.	Outlook WebMail -  cumbersome to use but does work.  Can read
and send messages.  Did not test all of the features of Webmail.
2.	PDF files - will not display them.  Opera might want to consider
a way to render such files.
3.	Pull down menus on http://library.morrisville.edu:  Works with
no problems.  The menus use a javascript so that means the browser
supports at least some javascript functions.
4.	Search on our ALEPH 14.2 webopac:  Works fine including
javascript we have added to it.  Did not try all of the functions.
5.	EZproxy and online databases:  Works very well with EZproxy.
Retains the session cookie.  Accessed several databases (see below for
more) with no problems at all.
6.	Gale InfoTrac - searches with no problem.  Displays full text
(HTML versions) of articles.  SFX links work as well. Did not test all
functions.
7.	Newsbank - searches with no problems.  Displays full text (HTML
versions). Did not test all functions.
8.	EbscoHost - searches with no problems.  Displays full text (HTML
versions). Did not test all functions.
9.	OCLC FirstSearch - tested WorldCat.  Searches with no problems.
Did not test all functions.
10.	WilsonWeb:  Does not search.  Wilson does some very peculiar
things in their search interface.  It does not move beyond the
initializing page.  I believe this is because Wilson uses frames. Wilson
needs to catch up with the times.
11.	WebCT- does not work.  WebCT is known for being extremely
Microsoft Internet Explorer centric.
12.	FRAMES and IFRAMES do not work or don't display.

Conclusions:
Opera Mini browser is a very good browser especially when compared to
the native WAP browser on my cell phone.  Most webpages are a little
clunky use but there are surprisingly few problems.  Some webpage design
changes could improve functionality of it.  Opera has an excellent
website for those that want to find out how to make pages work better in
the Mini browser: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/dev/.

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
Morrisville State College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4 <aim:goim?screenname=BillDrew4>
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net <http://billdrew.net/>
Wireless Libraries: http://wirelesslibraries.blogspot.com
<http://wirelesslibraries.blogspot.com/>
Library: http://library.morrisville.edu/
SUNYConnect: http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/
My Blog: http://babyboomerlibrarian.blogspot.com/
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin