[Web4lib] Any libraries using Drupal as their website CMS?

James Jacobs radlib at urbana.indymedia.org
Sat Jan 28 01:53:13 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

I too am a Drupal enthusiast, although I'm using it for non-library
applications. In searching google ("libraries using drupal"), I found that
Louisville (OH) Public Library (louisvillelibrary.org) is using Drupal.
Also Karlstads universitet in Sweden (http://www.bib.kau.se/?_lang=en),
Michigan Area Resource Center (http://www.marc-web.org/site/), University
of Wisconsin-Madison's Engineering Library
(http://wendt.library.wisc.edu/), Library of Bedrich Benes Buchlovan in
the Czech Republic (http://www.knihovnabbb.cz/cz/node/870), Genesee Valley
BOCES School Library System (http://sls.gvboces.org/). oss4lib
(http://oss4lib.org/) is also using drupal, but probably doesn't fall into
the "library site" category. And this was just in the first 3 pages of
results. I would guess that the UW site is closest to your situation.

Strangely, the first library site in the google results was from a
web4lib post
(http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/2005-March/036613.html), but
when I went and searched the web4lib archives, this post did not come up
in the results. I should say that it didn't come up directly, but only as
(http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/2005-March/036612.html).
Could it be that Swish-e is only searching the titles and not the body of
messages (even though I selected title and body in the limit)?

http://lists.webjunction.org/web4lib/search/index.cgi?query=Drupal&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&DateRanges_date_option=All&DateRanges_start_mon=1&DateRanges_start_day=28&DateRanges_start_year=2006&DateRanges_end_mon=1&DateRanges_end_day=28&DateRanges_end_year=2006&sort=swishrank

Have a good weekend everyone.

Regards,

James Jacobs

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Mark Jordan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There has been discussion on web4lib of using Drupal for library blogging, but I'd be
> interested in hearing from libraries that use it as their main website CMS. I know the
> Ann Arbor District Library uses it to great success (they've even integrated their ILS
> into it). In particular, I'm interested in your assessment of:
>
> 1) Scalability -- how well does it perform (I know that Spread Firefox and the Onion
> use it, so it can scaled fairly high)
Å>
> 2) Content creation/workflow management (users/groups/roles)
>
> 3) Flexibility, particularly with regard to use of existing Drupal modules or locally
> developed modules
>
> 4) Your experience with creating themes (layout/CSS/etc.) for your site.
>
> I have used Drupal for a couple of non-library websites, but they were fairly small
> scale, and am now wondering how feasible it would be to implement it on a larger scale.
> I'm interested in Drupal because it is feature-rich, is fairly well written, and has a
> pretty active user and developer community. The documentation is improving rapidly too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Jordan
> Head of Library Systems
> W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
> Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
> Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023
> mjordan at sfu.ca / http://www.sfu.ca/~mjordan/

James R. Jacobs
San Francisco, CA
radlib at ucimc.org