[Web4lib] OPAC user interface - design trends?

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:50:37 EST 2006

Hi there,

> > And clicking the link for the upper-cased version of my search yielded
> > nothing as well. :)
>
> I'm not surprised by that.  We haven't created our authority based
> dictionary yet (it's a standard English aspell dictionary), and only
> about 1/4 of our data is loaded into the development server.

Shouldn't these things by case-insensitive? Or are there compelling
reasons not to?

> [...looks in current PINES catalog...]
>
> And it seems we don't have any copies of that in all of PINES,
> according to the current catalog.  ;-)

True. But wouldn't it be great if it could find some stuff about
Monteverdi even if it didn't have that exact one? :)

> I'm most interested in what confusion there was about the back button.
>  Had you expected the chosen library to stay, er, chosen after
> "back"ing past it?

Hmm, I think I clicked the link and saw the big list of libraries, but
instead hit the back button, and it redid the whole search (meaning,
you've put in some doo-da to ignore the browser cache). It feels a bit
like you're trying to do DHTML things. Maybe it's just me being old
(in internet terms, at least).

> Thanks for taking a look, and thanks for the input!

No worries. I'll probably put my own little experiment up here for
poking soon too, so you can have your revenge. :) (Lucence over MARC
as a Java app, exposed as WebServices, user interface on a different
server in PHP, mixing in Amazon stuff, really fast on huge
collections, usability-designed, fast development time, open-source,
etc)

Regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert