[Web4lib] Google vs Bush Administration - Commentary

eddie at weblts.com eddie at weblts.com
Tue Jan 24 08:58:56 EST 2006

I think making the connection between Google's decision to resist the
government's request and it 's stock price may be taking it a bit too
far at this point.
It's not so much the decision to fight the government that will affect
it's stock price. It is the amount of money they are willing to spend on
lawyers that will affect the bottom line. It is too early to tell what
impact this will have.

There was also a broad market sell-off last week, especially Friday.
Google was not the only NASDAQ stock to be affected. Options also
expired last week. Actually, I have been hearing CNBC pundits say that
this may actually help the stock because Google may be seen in a good
light by refusing to hand over the records.
Google stock also seems to rebounding nicely today - so far(>5%).

 From what I have heard, most analyst haven't changed their rating on
Google because of this decision.

Eddie Rozier, MLS
Library Technology Solutions