[Web4lib] Software to run an "internal" bloglines-like service?

Bobb Menk bmenk at ll.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 12:38:51 EST 2006

Back in the summer I asked for advice on products that would let me run
a bloglines like service internally.

I don't have anything quite that full-featured to report, but I have
made some progress.

I've installed a product called News2web from a British company called
Hexamail at http://www.hexamail.com/news2web/

What I liked was the ability to include any old feed and create output
in the form of an html page, another RSS feed, or a direct email.

Initially it couldn't handle a proxy, but they were willing to write a
proxy toggle switch for me to test and which they're including in an
upcoming release (it may even be in the current one I'm not sure).

So now I have a tool that let's me mix and match internally-produced RSS
with external feeds, do rudimentary keyword searching against any
combination of all available feeds, and output that result as a web page
(for including in other web pages e.g.) or as a new RSS feed to be used
elsewhere as needed, or as a direct email producer.

The price with an edu discount was about $225.

They were among the most helpful support team I've come across - they
did an amazing amount to make it do what I wanted while I was still just
running the 15-day demo.

It comes as a server-side app that is available in Linux or Windows. The
admin gui however is a windows-only client. Which is all fine for me. I
run the windows version on a server which I administer remotely using
the windows gui as installed on my desktop...

Thought others may be interested in this kind of tool for managing and
manipulating feeds.

Bobb Menk
MIT Lincoln Laboratory Library
bmenk at ll.mit.edu