[Web4lib] Moving from Apache to EZProxy

Bill Jordan bjordan at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:44:03 EST 2006

we made a similar move 18 months ago.  most users were thrilled to be rid
of the need to configure their browsers, and the number of helpdesk calls
dropped dramatically.

we ran the two systems in parallel for a full academic year, and I finally
decommissioned the old service last July.  I got some complaints at that
point from users who rely heavily on electronic tables-of-contents
services.  we developed a couple of mitigation tools, including a proxy
bookmarklet.  When they follow an etocs link and arrive unauthenticated at
the vendor's site, they can hit the bookmarklet and it routes them through
EZProxy and back to the vendor page where they started.  works well for
most, but not all, vendors.

See http://www.lib.washington.edu/help/connect.html for more information.

--Bill

William Jordan
Associate Director of Libraries
Information Technology Services
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900, Seattle, WA 98195-2900
Voice: (206) 685-1625   Fax: (206) 543-5457