[Web4lib] NCSU Libraries Butcher the Pig

Andrew K. Pace andrew_pace at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 12 13:45:16 EST 2006

Thanks for the plug, Roy.  We're very excited about the new interface,
especially the abillity to browse the entire collection.  So that folks
don't think there's a trick to that, you can get there directly from a
tab on the front-end: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/browse.html
We plan on adding browsability based on format, language, and other
non-searchable dimensions on this page as well.  This just went live
this morning and many improvements are already planned for version 2
(including FRBRized displays via "record-rollup").  Here's a quick
rundown of current features:
* Complex relevency ranking
* Spell correction
* Did you mean.... recommendations
* Refinements based on subfielded LCSH
* LC Classification browsing and refinement
* Sort by most circulated ("Most popular")
* Links from full record display (currently still SirsiDynix Web2) back
to Endeca via "More by this author" and "More titles like this"
* Refinement breadcrumbs that allow you to trace search and delete
unwanted refinements

Hat's off to the lead developer, a brand new librarian, Emily Lynema.
She and the nimble product implementation team put this new catalog
together in less than 6 months!  Our OPAC doesn't suck anymore....sigh.
-Andrew

Roy Tennant wrote:

> Andrew Pace of the NCSU Libraries, who has said that making minor
> changes to library catalog systems is like putting lipstick on a pig,
> has unveiled a revolutionary new interface to their catalog based on
> new capabilities provided by Endeca, Inc. For a news release on the
> new system see <http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/news/libraries.php?
> p=1998&more=1http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/news/libraries.php?
> p=1998&more=1>. To use the catalog yourself, see <http://
> www.lib.ncsu.edu/catalog/>. If you go to <http://www2.lib.ncsu.edu/
> catalog/> you will see that you don't even need to do a search -- you
> can browse down into the 1.66 million item collection by using the
> Library of Congress Classification system.
> Roy

Andrew K. Pace, M.S.L.S.
Head, Systems ~ NCSU Libraries
North Carolina State University ~ Raleigh, NC
Columnist, American Libraries
andrew_pace at ncsu.edu ~ 919-515-3087
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/pace