[Web4lib] HTML Editing software

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Jan 9 11:34:26 EST 2006

Maurice York wrote:
> Could you say more about the Adobe/Macromedia merger as a reason to discount
> goLive? I haven't really used goLive and don't know that I would look at it
> for the kind of web work that you are talking about....but Dreamweaver and
> Contribute are both Macromedia products and involved in the same merger....
> Is there something there I should be paying attention to?

I guess the assumption is, GoLive is going to get the ax - maybe?
GoLive was one of the first halfway decent WYSIWYG editors.  Adobe
purchased it in 1999 and then sat on it till the present day.

This is really an unfortunate merger -- especially considering the
baneful effect Adobe might have on the far more innovative Macromedia
applications.  I mean, Photoshop, just to take an easy example, hasn't
changed all that much since they added layers to it back in the
mid-Nineties.

On the other hand, Macromedia has steamed full speed ahead with
Fireworks, Flash, and of course Dreamweaver.  The merger is less a
marriage of complements than a liquidation of one set of competing
programs over the other.  The Macromedia apps may win out.  They're the
better apps.  But everything's now under Adobe and they really haven't
been all that good at developing their own stuff.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com