[Web4lib] Author's query: finding biographical info in 2006, online and beyond

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:51:00 EST 2006

Folks,

I'm working on an article for Searcher (Information Today publication edited
by Barbara Quint).   I seek general wisdom on how to research the biography
of a person. Would you please forward this query to reference librarians and
other colleagues?

The particular case is a person named Daniel Imperato.  He issues press
releases almost daily about current affairs, and he identifies himself as a
candidate for president of the United States in 2008. At the end of this
message I include some links to example press releases from Imperato.
Search Google or Google News for more.

Suppose you are a reference librarian, and a patron asks you who a person
is, what he stands for, what he has accomplished in life, what his personal
history is.

-- What free online sources, Google and beyond, would you use?

-- What specialized online databases, available by subscription or at your
local library, would you use?  (IE newspaper indexes, biographical
databases, etc.)

-- What print resources would you consult?  Is "Who's Who?" still a
resource?  Are there other print biographical sources?

-- To answer this question, do you need to telephone or e-mail people?  Whom
would you contact?  Reporters for the local paper in his home town?  Who
else?

-- If a person appears frequently in Google News but usually in press
releases and seldom in actual media sources, what does that tell your
patron?

-- Finally, for sleuths -- who is Daniel Imperato?

Please send answers to me privately and I will summarize in my Searcher
article with notes here.

Thanks,

/rich

White House Candidate Imperato Sends Condolences to the
*...*<http://openpr.com/news/5650.html>
Open PR (press release) - Hamburg,Germany
(openPR) - West Palm Beach, FL - February 28, 2006 - Today, 2008 White House
Candidate *Daniel* *Imperato* sent his condolences to the people of the
Phillippines *...*
See all stories on this
topic<http://news.google.com/news?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&persist=1&hl=en&client=google&ncl=http://openpr.com/news/5650.html>

MEDIA ALERT: Imperato to Meet with Potential Vice President of the
*...*<http://openpr.com/news/5599.html>
Open PR (press release) - Hamburg,Germany
(openPR) - New York, NY -- February 27, 2006 -- In an unconfirmed report, US
Politics World has learned today that *Daniel* *Imperato* will be meeting
with a *...*

Ex President of South Yemen Gives Support to Leading Presidential
*...*<http://www.newsyemen.net/en/view_news.asp?sub_no=3_2006_02_19_5826>
News Yemen - Sanaa,Yemen
yesterday; 2008 Leading Presidential Candidate *Daniel* *Imperato* received
support from Former President of South Yemen, Ali Nasser Mohammed. *...*

Imperato on the International Effect of Bush's State of the Union
*...*<http://openpr.com/news/4423.html>
Open PR (press release) - Hamburg,Germany
(openPR) - London -- February 6, 2006 -- Halfway around the world, 2008
United States Presidential Candidate *Daniel* *Imperato* meet with his top
advisors and *...*

Virginia Businessman Endorses Imperato for President in
2008<http://openpr.com/news/4131.html>
Open PR (press release) - Hamburg,Germany
(openPR) - West Palm Beach, FL - January 31, 2006 - Adding to his rising
support, 2008 Independent Presidential Candidate *Daniel* *Imperato* secured
another *...*
See all stories on this
topic<http://news.google.com/news?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&persist=1&hl=en&client=google&ncl=http://openpr.com/news/4131.html>

*Daniel* *Imperato* on Terrorism, Bush and
Belafonte<http://i-newswire.com/pr54058.html>
I-Newswire.com (press release) - USA
After comments from Harry Belafonte calling President George W. Bush a
'terrorist', 2008 Presidential Contender *Daniel* *Imperato* spoke out on
what exactly *...*

Imperiali Organization Adds New ABA Basketball Team in West Palm
*...*<http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3251922>
OurSports Central (press release) - Marshfield,WI,USA
The ownership group is led by, 2008 Presidential Contender and international
businessman, *Daniel* *Imperato* (www.daniel2008.com), looks to have the
team start *...*