[Web4lib] Webmail and the ocean of spam

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Thu Feb 16 11:30:35 EST 2006

Thomas Dowling wrote:
> Stacy Pober wrote:
>> ...In part this is because I've discovered that Thunderbird gets
>> slow as mud when you have a lot of saved messages.
>
> What's your definition of "a lot"?  I try to keep my inbox under 1000
> messages, and I don't really see any performance issues.  I also have a
> couple folders with upwards of 9k messages in them, and manage to scroll
> through them without any trouble.   But then, I compress my mail folders
> regularly, and have Thunderbird prompt me to do so when it thinks I'll
> save 10MB doing it (Tools/Options/Advanced/Offline and Disk Space).
>
> You're looking at the current version of Thunderbird, right?  1.5 is a
> lot better at handling large folders than 1.0.

Yeah, sounds like it might be computer upgrade time for you.  Spam was
the only thing that got me off my old Quadra (with a G3 upgrade and
literally held together with masking tape).  Bizarre motivation, I admit
but I was finally able to chuck the baby.

Otherwise Thunderbird ought to be okay.  And as someone has already
written, IMAP is the way to go (i.e. POP no more!)  I've got Thunderbird
on three different computers at three different locations and they all
plug into the same set of emails in the same state (i.e. read, not-read,
trash, etc.)

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com