[Web4lib] Webmail and the ocean of spam

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Feb 16 08:48:53 EST 2006

Stacy Pober wrote:
> ...In part this is because I've discovered that Thunderbird gets
> slow as mud when you have a lot of saved messages.

What's your definition of "a lot"?  I try to keep my inbox under 1000
messages, and I don't really see any performance issues.  I also have a
couple folders with upwards of 9k messages in them, and manage to scroll
through them without any trouble.   But then, I compress my mail folders
regularly, and have Thunderbird prompt me to do so when it thinks I'll
save 10MB doing it (Tools/Options/Advanced/Offline and Disk Space).

You're looking at the current version of Thunderbird, right?  1.5 is a
lot better at handling large folders than 1.0.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu