[Web4lib] Digitization of tables to spreadsheet

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 9 18:14:52 EST 2006

At 04:40 PM 2/9/2006, Thomas Edelblute wrote:
>Can you export the table into a comma delimited file?  If so, I think
>that the information should be importable into Excel.

When I saw tables my first thought was database tables but on second
reading the OP is talking about printed tables and is likely is
looking for some sort of OCR software that can recognized graphical
delimiters as well as character data.

I'd be interested to hear what he comes up with as well.  One of the
projects I'm working on involves scanning thousands of government
documents from a US federal agency (some going back to 1919) and
since a good portion of the content is made up of many tables of
numbers that most OCR engines would have difficulty parsing the
document are likely only be made available as PDF documenents made up
of a collection of tiff images.