[Web4lib] Looking for software to build a Z39.50 gateway

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:48:04 EST 2006

There is a package PyZ3950 which has a Python
binding to Z39.50 and a "zoom" interface for it.
Pretty easy to use.

http://www.panix.com/~asl2/software/PyZ3950/

You will run into problems at some point along
the way if your catalog is big enough to have
interesting characters in the records, because
MARC characters can include characters that
are not in UTF-8.  PyZ3950 has a mapping from
the Library of Congress version of same.

Ed