[Web4lib] Social calendaring application "30boxes" prepares forbeta test

Karen Merguerian nls2 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 00:52:36 EST 2006

I've tried several online calendars in an attempt to find a substitute for
my family's kitchen calendar, which none of us can see when we're at work
and at school.  A "shifted" calendar!

After trying Remember the Milk, HipCal and Planzo (all reviewed in PC World
2/2006. http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123790,pg,2,00.asp), I
decided to try the calendar on myYahoo, which for me turned out to be the
best.

You can send alerts and invitations from it, or share the whole thing; you
can create repeating events, and various views are available.

Planzo would not create repeating events successfully, and Remember the Milk
would not show me a month-at-a-glance.  HipCal didn't do email alerts.

The tagging and social networking that seem to be the strengths of 30 Boxes
according to the Hawks review, are less interesting to me.  Tagging is too
much trouble (tho it could be useful for a shared workplace calendar) and
social networking for me consists of picking up the phone.  And a fitness
calorie chart?  It's probably better for my fitness to get up from sitting
in front of the computer all day long, LOL!!!

There is a Yahoo Intellisync application that is supposed to sync myYahoo
calendars with various email and organizer applications such as Outlook and
Notes; I haven't tried it yet but if it works, that would be the killer app
for me.  A calendar has to be portable IMHO.

Karen Merguerian
Northeastern University Libraries
Boston, MA