[Web4lib] "Virtual Visits" statistics in WebVoyage?

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Mon Dec 18 20:02:22 EST 2006

An ACRL stastistical survey is asking for "Number of virtual visits to the
library's catalog".

They define this as:
"Virtual visits include a user?s request of the library web site or catalog
from outside the library building excluding the number of pages or gratuitous
elements (images, style sheets) viewed. Exclude, if possible, virtual visits
from within the library, from robot or spider crawls and from page reloads."

"A visit is usually determined by a user?s IP address, which can be
misleading due to Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and Firewalls or
Proxy Servers. Thus, this measure is actually an estimate of the visits."

Since our Voyager catalog is not locally hosted, I don't know if statistics
are kept by Endeavor on the numbers of hits sorted by IP ranges.

If you know how to generate this statistic for a particular time period,
please send me some pointers.

For other databases, I would ask the vendor for tech support for help
in kind of situation, but Voyager support is more like that given for
open source applications. So I'm hoping that someone here either knows
how to get this statistic or can just tell me that it's not something that
is tracked, and is thus unavailable.

If we were using our EZproxy server for Voyager links, I suppose we could
generate the statistic in-house, but we don't currently proxy the catalog.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist
stacy.pober at manhattan.edu