[Web4lib] " ... the Audience is the Content."

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 18 15:59:42 EST 2006

***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***

Colleagues/

It's About Time ... {:-)

TIME
Posted Saturday, Dec. 16, 2006
"The other day I listened to a reader named Tom, age 59, make a pitch
for the American Voter as TIME's Person of the Year. Tom wasn't sitting
in my office but was home in Stamford, Conn., where he recorded his
video and uploaded it to YouTube. In fact, Tom was answering my own
video, which I'd posted on YouTube a couple of weeks earlier, asking for
people to submit nominations for Person of the Year. Within a few days,
it had tens of thousands of page views and dozens of video submissions
and comments. The people who sent in nominations were from Australia and
Paris and Duluth, and their suggestions included Sacha Baron Cohen,
Donald Rumsfeld, Al Gore and many, many votes for the YouTube guys.

This response was the living example of the idea of our 2006 Person of
the Year: that individuals are changing the nature of the information
age, that the creators and consumers of user-generated content are
transforming art and politics and commerce, that they are the engaged
citizens of a new digital democracy."

[SNIP]

RICHARD STENGEL
TIME Managing Editor Rick Stengel

[ http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570743,00.html ]
 “The Medium is the Message, * the Audience is the Content.”
                   Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980)
                 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_McLuhan ]

Marshall McLuhan. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man.  (New
York: McGraw-Hill, 1964), PAGE?. [http://www.marshallmcluhan.com/  ]

“Hot media are * low in participation, Cool media are high in
participation or completion  by the audience.”
Marshall McLuhan. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man.  (New
York: McGraw-Hill, 1964), 23.

 “We become what we behold. We shape our tools and thereafter our
tools shape us.”
Marshall McLuhan. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man.  (New
York: McGraw-Hill, 1964), PAGE?.

[ http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/marshallmc141113.html/ ]

Seasons Greetings!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Audience Member
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50010
gerrymck at iastate.edu

WIKIS: Disruptive Technologies for Dynamic Possibilities
[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/TICER2005.ppt ]