[Web4lib] RE: We need an Internet Literary Database - they exist!

Owen dietofcookies at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 15 13:44:36 EST 2006

(note to administer: original msg: Sun Mar 26 00:43:41 EST 2000)

Well, in some form. It would be nice if we had something as
comprehensive as IMDb; in fact I've had that system in mind, as a
template, for some time. For now, I suppose, we'll need to rely on
Amazon and, now, Google. They're actually pretty good except that they
neglect the out-of-print and ignore the obscure.

The most we've been able to do in our own project (www.gonelawn.com) is
(so far) a very modest one aimed at educating our potential audience
about authors (well-known to obscure) who're producing really
interesting and daring fiction (rather than the same old insipid crap
you see in Barnes & Noble), and the journals and small presses who
publish their work.

Hopefully in the future our audience will expand, and we'll be able to
add in the option of user input. It'll definitely be helpful and
productive to engender conversations between the writers and their
potential audience.

My own ultimate goal has always been much loftier, but I won't go into
it until I find the resources to establish that project.

Anyhow... Other than this, there are several sites that you can refer to
:

www.litline.org - well known; they have many links.
www.emergingwriters.typepad.com
nowwhatblog.blogspot.com - a site organized by a specific group of
authors, largely nontraditional, with links as well as ongoing
commentary, reviews and news by published authors, some of them
relatively well known.

Of course there're a lot more out there; you have only to look around.

                          love email again