[Web4lib] Searchmash, the other Google serach engine

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Mon Dec 11 16:15:04 EST 2006

A number of people have sent me messages off-list asking what I liked
about A9 that is different from the way it is now. I replied to one of
them, and will paste that reply here for others to see.

---------------

What's different is the functionality supported.  It used to be hugely
customizable. You can still do some of it, but it is harder to do. They
also kept your search history and pages visited, as well as your preferred
search tools, and this history has now been thrown away. I had been using
A9 to test search strategies for articles I was writing, and I was broken
hearted to lose this databank without any warning. I wrote to them about
getting back the history file, and they said no dice, they just threw out
all the data.

I had set up a lot of custom search sets, one group for history searches,
another for image searching, another for medical and health. Loved the
flexibility of it. Loved being able to sign in and get my favorite search
tools all set up the way I like it from any computer. That went away, too.
I can configure prefs, but they don't allow sign in and I have to set them
up again everywhere I go. They set up THEIR prefs for easy access, but
they aren't *MY* prefs.

I set up a test custom search set in the new A9 at work, but can't get to
it at home. And once I set up a test set, it won't let me make another
test set for a different function. It also seems to have locked me out of
editing the sets I already made. So I have a blank one with nothing in it,
and can't edit it; and then I have another for "libraries" that supposedly
contains every library with an A9 interface, and can't add new ones as
they come up, or delete something if I find it isn't really a library
opac. Maybe it is the browser I'm using or the platform I'm on, but I
can't get it to work. Maybe this is me having trouble figuring it out, but
wouldn't that say that there are some problems with the new interface and
its usability?

And I will never forgive them for throwing away my data without giving me
a chance to save it. I would have gone through my search history and saved
the whole thing as HTML rather than lose it. That is going to hurt me for
a long time. Lots of things I didn't keep records of because I was
trusting that it was in A9. That will teach me, eh? I was so upset I
didn't buy anything from Amazon for a month. I'm thinking of switching to
B&N, but probably won't.

<http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/marginalspace/archives/2006/10/once_upon_a_tim.html>

Best wishes, all,

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu