[Web4lib] Google and meta keyword tags

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Dec 7 15:27:27 EST 2006

On 12/7/2006 3:11 PM, Drew, Bill wrote:

> Does anyone know if Google indexes meta keyword tags?  I do not want to
> use them for page rank.  I want to use them with my Google CSE.

No, they're too susceptible to index spamming.  According to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_tags>:

  Search engines began dropping support for META keywords in 1998, and
  by the early 2000s, most search engines had veered away from
  reliance on meta elements, and in July 2002 AltaVista, one of the
  last major search engines to still offer support, finally stopped
  including them.

  Newer search engines like Google and FAST have never had any support
  for the META keywords tag.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu