[Web4lib] e-Readers (electric paper)

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Thu Dec 7 12:48:41 EST 2006

David Kane wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> With the increasing availability of academic papers and other
> literature online, might researchers in certain disciplines benefit from
> using these new kinds of readers - based on the e-Paper technology.
> This kind of display is non-glare, and is as easy to read as a book.
>
> What are your experiences?

I've never really understood the rationale behind these devices.  I
mean, I already have something that reads "electronic books" -- it's
called a laptop.  If I wanted something even more mobile, I'd get a
smaller laptop -- or maybe use my PDA.

The advantages of using my laptop -- besides the fact that I already own
it -- is that I can play most formats on it, and not just one.
Furthermore, my laptop can do more than just "read" the thing -- I can
cut out parts, re-use it, send it to friends and colleagues.  I can link
to the file, 'digg it', list it on del.icio.us.  In other words, I can
do everything I've become accustomed to do on a computer in a networked
environment.  Why would i want something that could do anything less?

I think if the sole purpose of a device is simply to serve as a platform
for a proprietary format, it's doomed.  This kind of "lock-in" is not
popular with consumers.  Just ask Sony how its own version of the iPod
is doing.

LEO

New Blog:
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com