[Web4lib] Live Book Search: Oops

Crawford,Walt crawforw at oclc.org
Wed Dec 6 16:34:18 EST 2006

One clarification/correction on my earlier mini-review:

Nobody said "you can only download one PDF page at a time."

I misread the source statement, which was "books in PDF format are
offered one page at a time"-that is, offered *on screen* one page at a
time, as in you can't jump to a specific page or navigate via table of
contents links. Now that I'm reading a printout, my comprehension is
better.

That source, which correctly said that you can download the book as a
PDF file, is ResourceShelf. It's a nice brief writeup of "MLBS" and puts
it in context with GBS.

Yeah, I also noticed the vaguely bizarre
edge-of-scroll-bar-under-scroll-bar interface. Well, heck, it's still
very early beta. And the scanning does look to be pretty good.

Walt Crawford

Senior Analyst, OCLC RLG Service Center

650-691-2227

crawforw at oclc.org <mailto:crawforw at oclc.org>