[Web4lib] Searchmash, the other Google serach engine

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Tue Dec 5 15:54:35 EST 2006

The idea I'm seeing is that it is not so much a different algorithm or
different results as that this is their playground for how they might
provide the results in a different way. What I noticed in particular is
the checkbox for highlighting Wikipedia results. I am wondering if they
are considering the approach previously used by A9 as a net-wise federated
search tool. I absolutely *loved* A9, but then it went totally splat with
their recent changes. I don't use it anymore, and would be thrilled to
bits if someone else started offering the functionality that used to be
at A9. If Google is thinking about it, more power to them.

Wishfully thinking,

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu