[Web4lib] Wiki farms

Havens,Andy havensa at oclc.org
Mon Dec 4 17:21:23 EST 2006

If you can stand spending $9.95/month, I highly recommend www.editme.com
For that you get a custom domain name, unlimited users, 200 meg of
storage and 3GM of traffic/month and the best permission structure
system I've encountered yet; i.e., you can create custom user/group
permissions, assign them to pages, and then when users/groups create new
pages from those pages, the permissions are 'sticky' and follow from the
originating page. EditMe also uses a very good WYSIWYG editor (it even
tops the one used by JotSpot (imho), which was just bought by Google).

The nice thing about EditMe, as opposed to many of the open (free)
wikis, is that you can have some public spaces/pages that are editable
by anybody, some that are editable by all registered users, some that
can only be changed by specific users/groups but are visible to
everyone, and some that are only visible to specific groups. It's that
granular. Very nice if you've got some stuff that shouldn't be shared,
or shared in dribs and drabs.

- A

Andy Havens
email: havensa at oclc.org