[Web4lib] vending machine for library PC stuff?

HAZEL Margaret E margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Aug 31 17:26:35 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

We are endeavoring to get rid of random cash boxes at all the reference
desks, but one of the things that we currently sell for 50 cents is
individual floppy disks.  Sending the public to the first floor to stand
in line and buy these at the Cards & Accounts Desk doesn't make great
sense.

So has anyone out there seen a vending device that will vend things like
floppies, USB flash drives, pens, headphones, etc.?  The essentials for
the modern library PC-user patron? (Idea copyright by Eugene Public
Library)

I know that old cigarette machines have been altered to sell things like
individual mini-artworks, so I know it would be possible, but someone
would have to package all those individual disks, etc., too.

You know that there would be a market for this....every library, every
school, every college...

-Margaret

Margaret E. Hazel
Principal Librarian, Technology