[Web4lib] New Books Feature

John Eye Eye at suu.edu
Wed Aug 30 18:51:42 EDT 2006

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I've been able to download a text file
from our OPAC and upload it into a MySQL database file to be displayed
on a web page, but I also forget to keep it updated.  We are beta
testing SirsiDynix 8.0 which I'm told will have that feature but the
whole system has been such a disaster we haven't even considered that
function yet.

John

Dr. John Eye
Assoc. Professor of Instructional Media
Sherratt Library
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720
435 865 8392 office
eye at suu.edu

>>> "Rachel Vidrine" <rbvidrine at waketech.edu> 8/30/2006 3:51 PM >>>
Hi!

At my library, we have a section on our Web site where we list some of
the newest additions to our collection. It's supposed to change
monthly,
but I usually forget or don't bother to update it because it requires
manually typing in some titles. I would like to know if there is a way
to generate a report of new titles from our system (we use SIRSI) and
then have that list (or at least parts of it) dynamically populate a
table in this "New Books" page. I know this can be done if the
information is in a database, but I have no idea if it would work
through SIRSI. Has anyone done anything like this? If so, could you
please lend your suggestions/assistance?

Thanks,
Rachel

Rachel Vidrine, MLIS
Web Services Librarian