[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Aug 30 16:07:22 EDT 2006

Can you have your computer read it aloud, if these are essentially
images, such as JPEGs, wrapped in PDF.  When I read Richard's statement,
I wondered how the images wrapped in PDF would affect disability
access.  Can/should libraries recommend this Google service, if it
doesn't support minimal functionality for the disabled.

--Or does it?  Intuitively, I would say it doesn't, but I don't have
handy access to a screen reader.  Has anybody tested it?

Grace Agnew

Karen Coyle wrote:

> On the plus side, you can have your computer read it aloud, which is
> not possible with most commercial e-books since this is considered to
> be covered under a separate "performance" contract with the author.
>

>> -- What's the error rate?  Google lists the particular document I
>> found as
>> being published in 1850.  The document is from 1856.
>
> High. Very high. As a quick and dirty keyword index to books, which is
> what Google originally announced as their goal, the quality is
> probably sufficient. As a book to be read, it's definitely inadequate.
> Not this particular book perhaps, but the Google corpus generally.
>
> kc

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers University Libraries
47 Davidson Road Piscataway, NJ 08854
732/445-5908
gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu

/Better research, better papers, better grades! Try Searchpath
<http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu>, our new online information
literacy tutorial./
http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu