[Web4lib] new library website

Kate Pitcher pitcher at geneseo.edu
Wed Aug 30 14:40:20 EDT 2006

Hi Kristen,

Our library at SUNY Geneseo launched our newly redesigned library website
during the summer break.  We decided to do it on August 4th, a Friday, at
4:15pm.  Here were a few reasons:

1.  We waited until the last of two summer sessions were over at the
college.
2.  Decided to launch on a Friday afternoon/evening, when most of the campus
staff should not be affected.  Most campus non-teaching faculty and staff
work an 8-4 schedule, M-Fri, during the summer months.
3.  We also wanted to do it early enough in August to give the library
faculty and staff enough time to become familiar with the site before
classes started.
4.  Give us time to fix bugs before faculty and students get back to campus.

About a month and a half before launch we posted a message on our old page
to notify our web audiences that we would be launching our newly redesigned
site in early August.  We kept it purposely vague as to the date to give us
the flexibility of changing the launch if any problems were encountered.
Right alongside the message, we posted a thumbnail image of the new site.
A week before the launch, we posted another message, with announcing
possible disruptions of service while we moved over to the new site.  We
gave a 2-hour window in case we encountered problems.
At the same time, I sent an email to all the campus listservs (for faculty,
staff, etc.) to notify those concerned about the launch date and the
possible disruptions in web services.   We also included an image of the new
website to give the campus a preview of what was to come, but didn't provide
a link to the new site.

I believe it worked rather well.  We launched with a minimum disruption of
service and broken links, errors, etc.
http://library.geneseo.edu

Kate

Katherine E. Pitcher
Reference/Instruction & Web Development Librarian
Milne Library
SUNY at Geneseo
(585) 245-5064
pitcher at geneseo.edu