[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Aug 30 14:09:41 EDT 2006

Right, thanks Jonathan. I hadn't gone far enough into the book (duh!).
The Google boilerplate at the beginning is readable, but the other pages
get a pre-Hal voice saying (monotonically) "warning empty page".
Presumably not a comment on the Google founder ;-)

kc

Jonathan Gorman wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Karen Coyle wrote:
>
>> On the plus side, you can have your computer read it aloud, which is
>> not possible with most commercial e-books since this is considered to
>> be covered under a separate "performance" contract with the author.
>
> Unless I missed something, the pdfs are just images, no text included
> at all. You seem to be agreeing with that in your earlier points
> (can't copy/paste etc).  I don't have time to deconstruct them now,
> but it sounds right.
>
> But if that's the case, you'll still need to run some sort of OCR to
> get the "script" for a computer program to "speak it".  If you do that
> you get some of the advantages you posted before....
>

> So is google offerring some sort of accessability service I'm not
> aware of?
>
> Quite curious,
>
> Jon Gorman

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net