[Web4lib] Text-to-speech applications

Deborah Kaplan dkaplan at brandeis.edu
Fri Aug 18 14:11:06 EDT 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Amy De Groff wrote:

> Good afternoon everyone
>
> I seek a linux based, ideally open source, text-to-speech solution for
> deployment in a medium sized public library system.  Any suggestions?

Festival is probably already on your Ubuntu systems; give it a
try, because you might like it.  You can definitely run it
at the command line if it's pre-installed, and I think it is on
basic Ubuntu.

Here are a few nice roundups of products.

http://linux-sound.org/speech.html
http://sig.levillage.org/index.php?p=551

Now open-source speech to text, that is a different -- and much
more difficult -- kettle of fish.

-Deborah
--
Deborah Kaplan