[Web4lib] Classes for Seniors

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Aug 17 13:08:00 EDT 2006

> I like Karen's point, but one thing I've noticed in teaching classes for
> genealogists (a high percentage of whom are seniors), is that you need to
> take their physical limitations into account. This may include: hearing
> loss, vision impairment (including special lenses), and limited
> mobility/hand control due to arthritis, Parkinson's, etc. There may also
> be cognitive issues, but, frankly, I haven't seen too much of that.
>
> Whenever I taught one of these classes, I always explained that usability
> and ergonomics are part of the reason why the students were having
> problems. I also taught the students ways around the problems (including
> my personal favorite, the two-handed mouse technique). My students
> appreciated learning that some of the problems were NOT THEIR FAULT.

Those are excellent points for refining the instruction experience.

Also, not only should we teach computer maintenance-but as someone who blew
out her right arm two years ago from not enough keyboard breaks and 18-hour
keyboard days (curse you, Blackboard!)-and who learned about "screen
distance" from her opthamalogist-we need to teach HUMAN maintenance as well!

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com