[Web4lib] Classes for Seniors

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Aug 16 20:29:03 EDT 2006

As someone old enough to qualify for AARP membership and all kinds of
senior citizen benefits I feel the need to make a point here.

Back in the early days of personal computing, the Internet, the Web,
etc, it made sense to focus on seniors as a group with limited computing
experience. The seniors back then had grown up in an age without
computers. Now we are sliding into an age where a lot of nascent seniors
have dealt with computing for most of their lives. As an example, I've
worked professionally with computing/IT for 30 years.

Anyway, at some point in the near future (if it hasn't already happened)
a person's age will no longer be a reliable indicator of computing
background/experience.

Folks who develop training courses will need to consider this. It has a
lot more to do with a person's level of experience/comfort with
computers than it has to do with a person's age. "Senior classes" may
become an artifact of the early days of computing.

Bernie Sloan