[Web4lib] Library associations, and librarians, on search log retention?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 20:12:32 EDT 2006

AOL's publication of search log information that can be mined to identify
individuals' searches has raised serious privacy concerns.  Here's a piece I
wrote on it:  http://www.infotoday.com/newsbreaks/nb060814-1.shtml

The news, and the NY Times report on one person who was identified by her
searches alone, upset at least one librarian.  Carol E. St. Amand of
Belchertown, Mass wrote The Times: "As a librarian, I was horrified at the
implications of Internet providers compiling and using the search strings of
users."

My first exposure to the benefits of search log analysis was when librarian
Nancy John schooled computer folks at the first Gophercon, which I helped
organize back in 1992.  I'm absolutely convinced of the benefits to users of
judicious use of aggregated search log analysis.  But AOL has shown the
risks to privacy. I'm wondering what positions the library community has
taken on the subject.

-- For years libraries have had rules that minimize retention of circulation
records.  Is it a standard practice to limit retention of records of
database searches?  Does your library do any analysis of search logs?  Do
you have a policy on retention of search log records?

-- If your library has databases hosted by external vendors, how long do
they retain records of database searches?  Does your vendor provide your
library with search reports?   Who in your library can see these reports?
How is privacy protected?

-- Have ALA, SLA, or orther associations taken a stand on retention of logs
of database searches?   Have they pressured the industry -- not just AOL and
Google, but the traditional commercial database industry, on this point?
Have they lobbied for legislation limiting retention of search logs, or at
least requiring disclosure of retention policies?

Please send comments to me personally if you wish, and I will summarize for
the list.  (Obviously, this is something I'll be writing about more.)

Thanks,

/rich