[Web4lib] Netscape 7 problem

Knight-Davis, Stacey L. slknight at eiu.edu
Mon Aug 14 19:43:33 EDT 2006

Hello Web4Libbers,

We are very near the launch date for our new CSS based home page, and
two library staffers have noticed that Netscape 7.0 and 7.1 will not
display the content of the page.  The footer looks fine and is in the
right spot, but all the other parts of the page are missing.
Interestingly, another staff member reports that Netscape 7.2 is
displaying the page correctly.

I'm fresh out of ideas for fixing this and was hoping someone could
provide some insight.  The HTML validates, and the CSS validates with
the exception of the IE shadow filter.  I've tried taking out the
scripts and the ASP, and Netscape 7.0 still won't display it.  My last
idea was to just put in a script to detect Netscape 7.0 and 7.1 and
redirect them to another page, but my JavaScript skills have failed to
create something that will detect the minor 7.0 and 7.1 versions.  I can
get all versions of 7, but that doesn't seem very fair to 7.2 users.

Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Here is the page:

http://www.library.eiu.edu/welcomenew.asp

We are running a script to switch the style sheets based on window size.
The style sheets are all the same with the exception of the body
font-size.  Here is the one at 80%:

http://www.library.eiu.edu/css/top/1024.css

We were trying to stay close to our current design while incorporating
the database-driven news feature.  Here is the current page, to see
where we are coming from:

http://www.library.eiu.edu/welcome.html

Stacey Knight-Davis
Booth Library