[Web4lib] WorldCat - libraries owning an item

Thomas Zimoski tzimoski at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:26:32 EDT 2006

At least for the library system to which my local public library
belongs, the "libraries owning this item" information in WorldCat is
quite incomplete.  Whether our situation is unusual and whether the
WorldCat administrators have provided a feasible mechanism for
correcting this situation I do not know.

But it  bothers me that there is no  indication on the WorldCat site
that their holdings information may be incomplete and that it might be
productive to search your local library's catalog directly.

I'm interested in the impressions of  others as to how completely your
library's collection is represented in WorldCat.

Tom

A recent mention  of  WorldCat outside the library world:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_08/009325.php