[Web4lib] CMS/Wiki discussion

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Aug 9 14:21:59 EDT 2006

One of the pages at opensourcecms.com links to

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

which is not limited to PHP/MySQL and you can use the form on their page to
select up to 10 content management tools to compare at once.

Thomas

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 12:38, James Fournie wrote:
> For those of you deciding on CMS and Wikis, I highly recommend you
> visit http://www.opensourcecms.com  It allows you to try out numerous
> php/MySQL based systems, including MediaWiki and Drupal.  It's a good
> way to get a feel for the systems.
>
> Unfortunately Plone is not represented, however you can try it at
> http://demo.plone.org
>
> I set up and tested dozens of systems for a library school project.
> My personal opinion is that the CMS depends on the usage.  Drupal is
> very popular and has a large community, but I found it tricky to
> customize.  Mambo is a decent system, and the users I tested it with
> responded well to it, however I found it to be unreliable, and missing
> some important features I needed.  For a system with a lot of users
> uploading and downloading content, I'd recommend Plone, although the
> learning curve is steep, and it can be quirky to set up.  If only one
> or two people are going to be updating the website, if it meets your
> needs, I'd recommend Wordpress.
>
> Wikis are wonderful, but I found that people in positions of authority
> were uncomfortable with the lack of security and control.  I also find
> them less user friendly when dealing with things like Word
> documents.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> James Fournie
> james.fournie at gmail.com

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help