[Web4lib] Drupal & Plon

Tom Keays tomkeays at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:24:13 EDT 2006

I admire the AADL website and what they've accomplished using Drupal.
Drupal is easy to install and get running but tricky to customize. If
you are using pre-existing modules and themes, there is very little
you have to do to have a working website. But to customize to the
degree that AADL has done, you have a whole world of things to learn,
including designing themes that allow customization, creating new
modules for specialized functionality, and tweaking everything so the
user interface is consistent.

I'd be interested in learning which libraries use Drupal and whether
libraries are sharing their work with each other.

I don't know that much about Plone, but it has a reputation for being
hard to install and work with, because it requires the Python-based
CMS, Zope, as a backbone. I have worked with Zope and it has a long
learning curve.

On 8/7/06, hon hon <k7v339 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering if anybody has some experieneces with
> Drupal and Plone. Currently, we are trying to build a
> website based upon some open source CMS such as Drupal
> and Plone. So far I only know that the Ann Arbor
> District Library http://www.aadl.org/ is using Drupal.
>

> Could somebody shed some light on this? Which one is
> better, Drupal or Plone, according your experience.
> You might have other recommendations as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Hongbin

Tom