[Web4lib] Drupal & Plone

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Aug 8 13:35:19 EDT 2006

I've been developing with Plone since last November (it's the core of our Plinkit webhosting/CMS solution for Oregon public libraries). I would agree that if you want to heavily customize the look/feel and/or feature set of Plone and you're not using other skins or add-ons (Products in Plone parlance) that are readily available for Plone, then the learning curve can be a bit on the steep side for the developer. The good news is that the look/feel of Plone is completely CSS driven. The bad news is that it's completely CSS driven ;-)

The upside of Plone is that it is infinitely customizable, especially around roles and workflows that can be adapted for any use case. And the Plone community is uber-friendly (as long as you communicate that you've tried to figure it out on your own first ;-) in both the mailing list (archived) and on irc.

Additionally, for content providers, it's a breeze to use -- comes with a WYSIWYG editor used through a web browser by navigating to the page to be modified or navigating to the folder to add new content and having at it ;-)

You can see one example of a public library district project using Plinkit/Plone with a fairly different look/feel -- a free skin that can be downloaded from plone.org. All I had to was install it and change the default banner. See: http://unioncounty.plinkit.org/

I can't speak for Drupal as I have never used it. As others have stated, it's based on PHP/MySQL so if those are familiar technologies, that might be the way to go.

--
Darci Hanning
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us