[Web4lib] Drupal & Plone

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Tue Aug 8 11:50:43 EDT 2006

We run Plone for an intranet. No experience with Drupal -- only attended
a session on it at Internet Librarian. Based on that I formed an
opinion.

Depends on how much customization you want to do and what other needs
you might have, as well as what staff resources you have to invest in
it.

For the time we have (had) to invest in it (not much), Plone is OK. If
you have little time and your customization needs are minimal, consider
Plone, particularly if you like the out-of-the-box look of it. But I
would hasten to add that customization is possible and can greatly
change the appearance and functionality.

Because we have not used Plone on our public-facing web site, this
reply is of limited usefulness, unless you have more specific questions
about Plone.

Bret Parker, Senior Applications Programmer Analyst (MLIS)
Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
City of Stockton (California)
bret.parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
(209) 937-7148

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us

>>> hon hon <k7v339 at yahoo.com> 8/7/2006 7:51 PM >>>
Hi All,

I am wondering if anybody has some experieneces with
Drupal and Plone. Currently, we are trying to build a
website based upon some open source CMS such as Drupal
and Plone. So far I only know that the Ann Arbor
District Library http://www.aadl.org/ is using Drupal.

Could somebody shed some light on this? Which one is
better, Drupal or Plone, according your experience.
You might have other recommendations as well.

Thanks,
Hongbin