[Web4lib] Holdings Code Practices

James M. Gilbert gilbertj at cliu.org
Tue Aug 8 09:45:27 EDT 2006

Hi All (sorry for the cross post -- looking to hear from as many folks as
possible),

We are considering adding 2 holdings codes, and would to hear what other
libraries are doing and how their individual preference has worked for the
better and worst...

1) We currently have a "LOCAL HISTORY" collection which is LABELED as such
and occupies a distinct area of the library:
      LOC. HIST.
  We are considering breaking out these materials into a LOCAL HISTORY (or
LOCAL REFERENCE) collection code in the catalog.

2) Electronic Resources are currently cataloged under their paper
equivalent; this is largely online testing -- which would catalog to "ADULT
NONFICTION" collection.

We are considering adding a collection code for "E-Resources" -- at present
we do not catalog downloadable E-books, our patrons use NetLibrary to search
for holdings.

Thank you,

James M. Gilbert
Systems Librarian