[Web4lib] Drupal on a Windows server?

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Thu Aug 3 21:29:38 EDT 2006

Houghton, Sarah wrote:
> Are there any libraries who are successfully using Drupal, and all the
> associated components, as their CMS on a Windows 2003 IIS 6 server?  A
> Windows server in general?
>

> We're in the beginning stages of totally redesigning our site from the
> ground up and want to use Drupal, but have concerns about the server we
> currently have access to.  I found installation instructions on the
> Black Mountain blog (http://www.blkmtn.org/node/197), but there is much
> more documentation on Linux installations.  From scanning the blogs and
> forums, it seems that people have had some hiccups with Drupal on
> Windows, and we're concerned that we may be painting ourselves into a
> nasty corner if we choose to use a Windows server.

Why go with IIS?  Do you have something else running on it?

That said, it's not too difficult (in the grand scheme of things) to
install it running IIS.  Once you've got PHP & MySQL running (already a
miracle), it's pretty straight forward.

I'm sure you've seen the Installation pages on Drupal itself:
http://drupal.org/node/263

In any case, the best approach would be to set up a "development" server
and iron out all the problems on that first.  You then copy the Drupal
files to the production server and upload the database as well using
something like MySQL Administrator.

Repeat ten times.

It's best that you get comfortable with this process as upgrades to
Drupal come fairly frequently.  Also have a good look at what "modules"
you'll be needing -- and whether they've been upgraded to 4.7.  If not,
you might want to think about sticking with 4.6 for the moment.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com