[Web4lib] 800x600 Browser Resolution

Ward Price wprice at utpa.edu
Thu Aug 3 11:55:40 EDT 2006

Perhaps I've missed it in discussions on browsers and white space and
such, but are there standards or guidelines out there somewhere for
university library websites?  I mean standards for content (subject
guides, personal pages, hours, tutorials, forms, ask-a-librarian, etc.),
organization (Research, Library Services, Library Information, or
whatever), navigation elements (drop downs/pulldowns vs. mouseovers/fly
outs) and positioning (top vs side), other items (videos, flash,
podcast, etc.), design elements like those discussed recently, and all
the other stuff that goes into websites.  I'm interested in something
like ACRL standards, which I cannot find, or some other recognized body
like that.  I've found guidelines and policies for individual
institutions, and of course things like Jakob Nielsen's stuff and the
Library Success Best practices Wiki, and lots of information on
usability standards for the disabled, not to mention all the information
available on this list.  But are there "real guidelines from recognized
authorities" that we should be following, or is it all matter of
personal preference, six of one and half a dozen of another, and
whatever works best for me today?

Ward Price

Web Librarian <http://www.lib.panam.edu/>

The University of Texas-Pan American <http://www.panam.edu/>