[Web4lib] 800x600 Browser Resolution

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 13:42:20 EDT 2006

I've seen this discussed on many design sites. Some are using hybrid
layouts with areas that have a max-width (and hacks to get browsers to
obey). Some are basing it on font-size so that it can still get larger
even with max-width. And I've seen others even make it so that the
layout itself changes to more columns or similar layouts depending on
the space allowed. Most of these are more complex and require more
testing so I'm not surprised they haven't caught on.

I've seen these layouts called elastic, flexible, jello and zoom. A
google search should bring up some examples.

Ryan Eby